Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!

От: Iain
Тема: Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Rodrigo Carvalhaes, )
 Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Shridhar Daithankar, )
  Re: [GENERAL] pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: [GENERAL] pg_restore taking 4 hours!  ("Riccardo G. Facchini", )
  Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Rodrigo Carvalhaes, )
   Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Andrew McMillan, )
 Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Vivek Khera, )
  Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  ("Iain", )

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't catch the original message, so I'm not sure if the original
poster mentioned the postgres version that he's using.

I just thought that I'd contribute this observation.

I have a DB that takes several hours to restore under 7,1 but completes in
around 10 minutes on 7.4. The main reason for this is that by default the
7.4 restore delays creation of PKs and indexes until after the data load,
whereas 7.1 doesn't.

I noticed that 7.1 has a re-arrange option that reportedly delays the pks
and indexes, so presumably this would have alleviated the problem.

I also noticed that a dumpfile created under 7.1 took hours to restore using
7.4 to load it as the order remained in the default of 7.1.

I don'tknow when the default behaviour changed, but I get the feeling it may
have been with 7.4.

HTH
Iain