Re: [MLIST] Re: [mail] Re: Big 7.4 items - Replication

От Al Sutton
Тема Re: [MLIST] Re: [mail] Re: Big 7.4 items - Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David,

This can be resolved by requiring that for any transaction to succeed the
entrypoint database must receive acknowlegements from n/2 + 0.5 (rounded up
to the nearest integer) databases where n is the total number in the
replicant set. The following cases are shown as an example;

Total Number of databases: 2
Number required to accept transaction: 2

Total Number of databases: 3
Number required to accept transaction: 2

Total Number of databases: 4
Number required to accept transaction: 3

Total Number of databases: 5
Number required to accept transaction: 3

Total Number of databases: 6
Number required to accept transaction: 4

Total Number of databases: 7
Number required to accept transaction: 4

Total Number of databases: 8
Number required to accept transaction: 5

This would prevent two replicant sub-sets forming, because it is impossible
for both sets to have over 50% of the databases.

Applications could be able to detect when a database has dropped out of the
replicant set because the database could report a state of "Unable to obtain
majority consesus". This would allow applications differentiate between a
database out of the set where writing to other databases in the set could
yield a sucessful result, and "Unable to commit due to conflict" where
trying other databases is pointless.

Al

Example