Re: Problem with default partition pruning

От Yuzuko Hosoya
Тема Re: Problem with default partition pruning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Horiguchi-san,

We found that partition pruning didn't work as expect when we scanned a sub-partition using WHERE
clause which contradicts the sub-partition's constraint by Thibaut tests.
The example discussed in this thread as follows.

postgres=# \d+ test2
                             Partitioned table "public.test2"
 Column |  Type   | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage  | Stats target | Description
--------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+----------+--------------+-------------
 id     | integer |           |          |         | plain    |              |
 val    | text    |           |          |         | extended |              |
Partition key: RANGE (id)
Partitions: test2_0_20 FOR VALUES FROM (0) TO (20), PARTITIONED,
            test2_20_plus_def DEFAULT

postgres=# \d+ test2_0_20
                           Partitioned table "public.test2_0_20"
 Column |  Type   | Collation | Nullable | Default | Storage  | Stats target | Description
--------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+----------+--------------+-------------
 id     | integer |           |          |         | plain    |              |
 val    | text    |           |          |         | extended |              |
Partition of: test2 FOR VALUES FROM (0) TO (20) Partition constraint: ((id IS NOT NULL) AND (id >=
0) AND (id < 20)) Partition key: RANGE (id)
Partitions: test2_0_10 FOR VALUES FROM (0) TO (10),
            test2_10_20_def DEFAULT

postgres=# explain (costs off) select * from test2 where id=5 or id=20;
               QUERY PLAN
 Append
   ->  Seq Scan on test2_0_10
         Filter: ((id = 5) OR (id = 20))
   ->  Seq Scan on test2_10_20_def
         Filter: ((id = 5) OR (id = 20))
   ->  Seq Scan on test2_20_plus_def
         Filter: ((id = 5) OR (id = 20))
(7 rows)

postgres=# explain (costs off) select * from test2_0_20 where id=25;
         QUERY PLAN
-----------------------------
 Seq Scan on test2_10_20_def
   Filter: (id = 25)
(2 rows)

So I think we have to check if WHERE clause contradicts sub-partition's constraint regardless of
whether the clause matches part attributes or not.

> The "if (partconstr)" block uselessly runs for every clause in the clause tree other than
BoolExpr.
> If we want do that, isn't just doing predicate_refuted_by(partconstr,
> clauses, false) sufficient before looping over clauses?
Yes, I tried doing that in the original patch.

> > "if (partqual)" block to the beginning of the loop you mentioned.
> >
> > I'm attaching the latest version.  Could you please check it again?
>
> regards.
>
> --
> Kyotaro Horiguchi
> NTT Open Source Software Center

Best regards,
Yuzuko Hosoya

От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: Problem with default partition pruning
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: tableam: basic documentation.