Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql)

От Rick Gigger
Тема Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:00:35PM -0800, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
>
> > having PG as an embedded database have never used one.  I think Tom, for
> > example, has been focusing on enterprise-level applications too much to
> > think about the personal applications, and Chris, I'm going to guess
>
> This seems to suggest that Postgres should focus on something other
> than enterprise-level applications, and (presumably) on something
> else.

Yes but sometimes an enterprise level application may need to be put on a
laptop and taken off-line.  Having an embedded database that is compatible
with the one on the server makes this a bit easier to do.

> Frankly, I am _mighty glad_ that the developers are focussed on
> enterprise-level applications.  That's what makes Postgres eligible
> to back enterprise-level software.  Applications that try to do
> everything for everyone tend to end up doing nothing very well.  I
> don't think one needs to look too hard to discover examples of that
> phenomenon.

Well, this very well may be true.  It does seem as if many of the features
that add the reliability and performance necessary for an enterprise server
application are what makes it difficult to make a good embedded solution.