Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data in DB?

От Mitch Vincent
Тема Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data in DB?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I know your situations,  your DB is not updated and inserted lots of
records in few minutes,
> mine is difference,  I have a real time Stock Trading  system, you know,
stock, its price
> is changed every minute or even every second ,  I need update and insert
delta change into DB,
> draw their trend graphics,  suppose there are 3000 stocks in market,
there maybe 9000 records
> changed and inserted in one minutes, because PGSQL's storage manager
problem( it does not
> reuse deleted record space),  in 4 hours trading period,  my harddisk can
be full filled.  because in
> the period, the table indeed gets very large, doing VACCUME is impossible
in realtime, it will lock
> out other clients too long time,  my point of view is PGSQL is fit for
static or small changed database,
> not fit for lots of change in short time.

It's admitadly a problem so I don't think you need to convince everyone that
it's not the best way to handle things :-)

I hate to say it, but your options currently are to upgrade your storage
device or change databases... I think I'd fork out some cash for some new
hardware verses buying a commercial database or putting up with the missing
features of MySQL..

All my humble opinion of course, I wish you the best of luck.

-Mitch