Table Corruption

От mike focosi
Тема Table Corruption
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have several php scripts that allow my clients to add stories to a
database. I've noticed that once in a while, when they attempt to
insert/update more than 8k into a table, the table is becoming corrupted.
When a select is done on the table, the database hangs. When this happens to
one table in one database, it brings down the whole postgreSQL server
backend. Not good.

I've created a database with the same scheme/data and have only been able to
recreate the problem once. Can't seem to do it everytime. PostgreSQL usually
gives the "PQsendQuery() -- query is too long..." error and just doesn't
follow thru with the query which is fine. I can deal with limiting my
clients to less than 8k stories. But sometimes the  table gets corrupted by
a query that shouldn't be executed (ie: stopped at the too long warning).
Has anybody ever had any problems like the one I described. I've yet to
upgrade our database servers to 7+ (running 6.4) so I'm hoping maybe that
would solve the problem. But I'd like to know what the exact problem is.

thanks
-mike

mike focosi
senior applications developer