Temporary Tables

От Joseph M. Day
Тема Temporary Tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I am having some problems understanding how the temp tables work in PG. I have a relatively lengthy function I am creating that makes frequent use of temporary tables.

I am dropping and recreating the temp tables on each run. If I run the procedure the first time via psql it seems to run fine. If I try to immediately run it again I get the following message:

Error: relation with OID 22938 does not exist

The query it is running is the following:

Select Into sTableName TableName From tmp_tblJoin Where ID = 1;

Nothing special about it other than "tmp_tblJoin" is defined as a temporary table.

I do understand what is happening (I think). There is a stale pointer to the previous instance of the temp table (that no longer exists) which is causing the function to blow up. My question is how to I stop it from storing the OID of the old reference.

I am relatively new to PG, but have years of experience with MSSQL and never had to deal with these type of issues. I am using plpqsql and explicitly setting it to volatile.

Any help may save the last couple strands of hair on my head :-)

Joe,

Joseph M. Day
Global Innovative Solutions