Re: Markdown format output for psql, design notes

От Vik Fearing
Тема Re: Markdown format output for psql, design notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 28/11/2018 09:59, Lætitia Avrot wrote:
> First, thanks to have read that whole mail and sorry I didn't mean to
> make it so long...
> Then I'd like to know ***what you think about what I'm about to do***
> before heading in a wrong direction.

I'm a little bit reluctant for us to write and maintain more and more
format styles, especially one as subjective and varied as markdown.  I
imagine we will constantly be bombarded with "this isn't quite right" or
"this isn't compatible with github".

What I personally use is the excellent pandoc tool (https://pandoc.org/)
which can convert formats we already output into a multitude of other
formats.

psql -qHc "values (E'hello\nworld', 42), ('single line', 5), ('another',
null)" | pandoc -f html -t markdown

  -----------------------
  column1         column2
  hello\               42
  world

  single line           5

  another

(3 rows)\

This handles both column alignment and the multiline issue Daniel raised.
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36