Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9

От Phil Seretti
Тема Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9
Дата
Re: Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9  (Martin Atukunda <matlads@myrealbox.com>)
Re: Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9  (Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>)
Список pgsql-novice
Hello All,

I'm a virgin newbie to Linux and PostgreSQL but have very much experience in - (whispered) sssh, Windows.

I have downloaded the Red Hat 9 errata corrected  RPMs of pgsql - including the missing "odbc" package they left off the site (13 rpms in all).

They seemed to unpack with no issues.  Following Red Hat's PostgreSQL Configuration instructions, here is my terminal dialog;

[root@localhost user]# postmaster  -i > logfile 2>&1 &
[1] 2884
[root@localhost user]# createdb  -h localhost -E UNICODE mydb
bash: createdb: command not found
[1]+   Exit 127                                        postmaster -i >logfile 2>&1

I have been searching around and looking through this list and tried the "initdb" method with a similar "command not found" result.  I had to hand create the "/usr/local/pgsql/data" structure - not sure if that was a wise thing to do...maybe some file pointers did not get made.

It seems to me that something did not get installed, installed correctly or I should go back to windows - just kidding.  I want to get this Linux down, get pgsql happening, add-on pgadmin III  and start giving back to the community.

I've reached that point I'm sure we all have been to at one time or another  -  I don't trust myself, my knowledge or even my lack of it.

All help greatly appreciated -even the stuff that doesn't work - its the thought and friendship!

Phil
Its a Bitch Being a Newbie!