Re: [GENERAL] VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?

От Klaus P. Pieper
Тема Re: [GENERAL] VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thanks for clarification.

> >I may be wrong, but my understanding of a VSS writer is that all
> >transaction and log files are flushed to disk prior tot he snapshot.
>
> You understanding is correct - but I think you are maybe misapplying it
to this
> case.  VSS operates in the *host*, not in the virtual machine.  And VSS
is purely
> a Windows mechanism - it does not apply in Unix or Linux.

[...]

I am aware that VSS is purely Windows, and your comment about VSS aware
application is true. Backup programs / VM managers like Data Protection
Manager trigger these applications to put the files into a safe state
prior to the snapshot. As far as I am aware, MS SQL server provides this
mechanism while PostgreSQL does not. And for this reason, I would
certainly encourage using PostgreSQL's backup mechanisms for business
critical applications.

I just spoke with several admins who were not aware of these differences
between several databases.

Klaus