ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory

От Jean-Marc Paulin
Тема ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hi there,

Seems I am not the only one in this case...

I am running PostgreSQL 7.2.1 (freshly build on a Win2K SP2 machine) and all
its dependants.
- I have follow Jason's FAQ (ok, without the patches ... )
- I have managed to initialize the template1 database.
- I can get the samples to run against the server
- I can create tables, insert/select data... (I've done that in another
database, not template1)

If I run postmaster as a daemon from a cygwin telnet session, createdb works
fine.
If I run postmaster as a service (via the cygrunsrv), createdb return the
error: "could not initialize database directory".

Even more confusing, if I run postmaster as a daemon, create a Db, then kill
postmaster daemon, then start posmaster service, I can use the freshly
created database.

I do not belive this is a security issue because postmaster as a daemon
works fine, files are owned by postmater, the /etc/passwd file is
correct,...
- this is not because cp and mv are not in the default path ( if I logon to
the PC with postgres user and open a raw Win32 cmd window, I can use cp and
mv).
- I do not have any quota or disk space Pb either...

Any hints ?

Jean-Marc