Re: odd jdbc driver synchronization issue

От George Lessmann
Тема Re: odd jdbc driver synchronization issue
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Kris,

Thanks for the test program. It helped a lot, and I believe I've found
my problem. The main issue seems to be the transaction isolation and
locking behavior of PostgreSQL as compared to MSSQL Server, and the way
I was writing my code (specifically, commits) between all my different
tests. My workload uses two stored procedures; each one issues a few
selects, possibly updates, and then an insert. The update branch is what
caused the issues, as a table could be concurrently updated by any
number of clients (basically, something like balance = balance +
amount).

Here's my work section, modeled after your example:

    public void execute(int num) throws SQLException {
        for (int i=0; i<num; i++) {

            parentCall.execute();
            // #1
            for (int j=0; j<9; j++) {
                childCall.execute();
                // #1
            }
            // #2
        }
        // #3
        conn.commit();
    }

#1 a conn.commit() placed here allowed multiple clients/postmasters to
work. No postmaster process went above 8% cpu.
#2 a conn.commit() placed here allowed multiple clients/postmasters to
work. Faster than #1, naturally. No postmaster process went above 25%
cpu.
#3 a conn.commit() placed here will serialize all clients/postmasters
(if you have updates in your functions). 1 postmaster process always at
99% cpu. Although it finished with the highest throughput, it's not the
correct isolation level for the workload.

Here's some comparison data for those who are interested,

Postgres    #1    39.38 tps
Postgres    #2    108.50 tps
Postgres    #3    563.76 tps (near pgAdmin levels?)
MSSQL        #1    389.81 tps
MSSQL        #2    459.18 tps
MSSQL        #3    767.23 tps

Thanks to Dave, Oliver, and Kris for the help.

George