Re: Review: Patch to compute Max LSN of Data Pages

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Review: Patch to compute Max LSN of Data Pages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:26 AM Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-06-27 11:16:25 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:19 PM Fujii Masao wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Amit Kapila
> <amit.kapila@huawei.com>
> below:
> > > whether
> precedes
> the

> > > tool

> master
> > > and
> > > skip a
> last
> > > gcbYxMOFBYVk
> > >
> > > I guess he meant the commit hint bit problem.
> >
> > True, after reading the thread mentioned by Andres, I got the reason
> he was
> > pointing why it is not sufficient.
> > So can it be useful if database has checksums enabled?
>
> I think for that usecase its far more useful to work on getting
> pg_rewind since that has a chance of working when local WAL has been
> applied that hadn't yet shipped to the other side (which is frequently
> the case).

Aren't the use case for both is bit different
Pg_computmaxlsn - by computing max lsn for checksums enabled database, user
can made old-master follow new-master if maxlsn suggests that fullbackup is                  not required.

Pg_rewind       - a tool to resynchronize old-master and new-master by
copying changed blocks from new master.                 I think more work might be needed in case DDL's happened
on old-master after forking of new-master.

Although for this case, both have resemblance in terms of avoiding full
backup, but I think maxlsn tool can be independently also used.
Do you think pg_rewind can be used by default for any checksum enabled
database to resynchronize old-master?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: Re: pg_filedump 9.3: checksums (and a few other fixes)
Сообщение: Re: pg_filedump 9.3: checksums (and a few other fixes)