Re: Coalesce bug ?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Coalesce bug ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

You have defined the function as "IMMUTABLE".  The system is allowed to cache the results of a given call (i.e.
"ps3(2)")and return the value without actually executing the function ("never executed").  Your second example returns
"1"without a warning regarding the "2" invocation due to this.  The Query Plan you show also matches this behavior.

I am curious as to why the Explain Analyze version has both warnings yet indicates that the cache was used.  I would
askthat you confirm that query plan shown was generated at the same time as the two warnings and that it is not a
copy-and-paste/timingerror.  While unusual the contract of IMMUTABLE does not supposedly preclude this mismatch.
However,I have to leave it to more knowledgeable people to confirm, research, and explain this behavior.

David J.