Re: Database server restarting

От shoaib
Тема Re: Database server restarting
Дата
Re: Database server restarting  (Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
We are rebooting the server for cleaning up the buffers of the
system.Before rebooting I will shutdown database server.Can you provide
any futher clue why suddenly at 4.17 aM it restarted.Our preventive
maintenance run at 1 AM.
And another process of Reading data from some flat files and updating it
to database ended at 4.13 AM on the same day.
Your help is really appreciated.

Regards
Shoaib

-----Original Message-----
From: Nigel J. Andrews [mailto:nandrews@investsystems.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 7:08 PM
To: shoaib
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Database server restarting

On Mon, 5 May 2003, shoaib wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> We are using postgressql 7.2.2 . our system running is 24 hours day it
> preventive reboot once a day.

Odd concept. What is this reboot preventing?

> some time I am getting this error and after
> it the sytem hang .Can any body help in this.
>
> DEBUG:  pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
> DEBUG:  pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
> DEBUG:  pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
> DEBUG:  pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
> DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2003-05-03 04:17:19 SGT
> DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 3/85EA18B0
> DEBUG:  redo record is at 3/85EA18B0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown
> FALSE
> DEBUG:  next transaction id: 4111285; next oid: 7557242
> DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery
> in progress

It looks like your preventative daily reboot is not preventing the
problems it
is causing. It is possible that the postmaster is not being shutdown
properly
because, for example, there is a client still connected and the shutdown
script
isn't forcing a fast shutdown. See pg_ctl manpage for infomation on the
switches.

As for worrying about the messages, there's no real error message in
there,
aside from the 'EOF on client connection', just the normal messages on
start up
from a bad shutdown. If you're worried, I would look at solving whatever
the
answer to the daily reboot question shows is the problem.

--
Nigel J. Andrews