Why does postgres not take into account my index on a bigint column ?

От Pierre-Andre Michel
Тема Why does postgres not take into account my index on a bigint column ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I noticed that postgres does not take into account index on BIGINT column when the value specified in the WHERE condition is not quoted.
My problem is that I use third part programs that automatically generate many select queries where numeric values are not surrounded with quotes.

So does anybody know a way to force postgres to consider using indices on bigint columns even when the value in a where cond is not surrounded by quotes ?

Thanks

----
For instance, in the following 'header' table I have a bigint column 'objectId'. Here is what I get when running the explain command:

idns_dev=# explain select * from header where objectid = '47866';

NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
Index Scan using header_pkey on header  (cost=0.00..3.92 rows=1 width=552)
EXPLAIN

idns_dev=# explain select * from header where objectid = 47866;

NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
Seq Scan on header  (cost=0.00..2246.50 rows=1 width=552)
EXPLAIN
------

Pierre-André Michel

SmartGene SA