Re: Help me recovering data

От Kouber Saparev
Тема Re: Help me recovering data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Not being able to issue new transactions *is* data loss --- how are you
> going to get the system out of that state?

Yes, but I also would prefer the server to say something as "The database is
full, please vacuum." - the same as when the hard disk is full and you try
to record something on it - it's not exactly data loss, just an incapability
to continue the job.

The thing is that a warning is issued only when you start the vacuum itself:

play=# VACUUM;
WARNING:  some databases have not been vacuumed in 1613770184 transactions
HINT:  Better vacuum them within 533713463 transactions, or you may have a
wraparound failure.
VACUUM

So, it's something like the chicken and the egg problem, you have to vacuum
in order to receive a message that you had to do it earlier, but sometimes
it's just too late. As it was in my case, I have just discovered that almost
all of my data is missing - not even a notice or a warning message to let me
know that the end of the world is approaching. :)

Regards,
Kouber Saparev