Re: CYGWIN AND POSTGRESS

От George Weaver
Тема Re: CYGWIN AND POSTGRESS
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hi Jason,

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that "Cygwin PostgreSQL users are better off with my pre-built package...".  I would also add your Readme to that statement as well .

I have (successfully) installed PostgreSQL on several Windows XP Home, Pro, NT4, and Windows 2000 systems with the help of your Readme files and this list.  It hasn't always gone as easy as I would have wished, but as often as not it was due to my inattention and trying to hurry things along.  The file permissions seem to be the stickler, but I think that you and others contributing to the list have pretty much done the necessary analysis to guide users successfully in this area.

The last install I did was last week on an XP Pro system using "e$Id: README,v 1.39 2003/10/27 13:08:55 jt Exp $".  There were two things that slowed me down which might be of interest.

In the statement: # net user postgres $password /add /fullname:postgres /comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)" # [11], I found I had to quote the fullname (eg /fullname:"postgres") and the comment (eg /comment:"PostgreSQL user account").

In the installation of Postmaster as a service using: # cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args <<snip>>, any installation I've done puts all the system files in cygwin/bin, therefore I needed to change the path to "--path /bin/postmaster".

With these changes and changing some of the file permissions, things went quite smoothly!

Thank you, Jason, for you contributions and continuing help.

I envy your patience...

Regards,
George