best practices with index on varchar column

От Layet Benjamin
Тема best practices with index on varchar column
Дата
Re: best practices with index on varchar column
Список pgsql-performance
Hi everyone,
I hope it is the correct newsletter for this question.

Can I use an index on a varchar column to optimize the SELECT queries that use " column LIKE 'header%'  "?
If yes what is the best tree algotithm to use ?

I don't care about optimising INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE queries, as they are only done at night when the load is very low.
Thank you very much for any help,
Benjamin Layet