Problem with pg_dump/pg_restore or pg_dump/psql

От Yanik Crépeau
Тема Problem with pg_dump/pg_restore or pg_dump/psql
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
pg_dump version: 7.3.4
pg_restore version: 7.3.4
psql version: 7.3.4

I try to use the various scenarios proposed in the pg_dump man page to dump
one database and restore it on another machine. In all case, I have got an
error during the restore process (psql -d xxx -f yyy or pg_restore).

I have checked very carefully where such an error happens and I have
discovered that it is only when psql or pg_restore reaches a record
containing a character with an accent (like é, è, à etc etc.). It does not
fail systematically, but chance to have a failure are very high if:
   a) a record contains more characters with accents than just one or   b) the character with an accent is at the end
ofthe field

If I pad a field with space characters ('Crépeau       ' instead of
'Crépeau'), that could fix the problem but I suspect the end result will
miss some blank characters.

Oh, by the way, all my databases are encoded with UNICODE.

Yanik

Yanik Crépeau       "homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto"
Montréal QC
PGP 0xD5EF5EF1/2047: 7AB063B5 CAAA60CA  573ED213 7E4B9EB4
PGP 0xD1F892EF/2048:  9754F2BEA6B788C578F9C547E986596AD1F892EF