clean rebuild process?

От chris markiewicz
Тема clean rebuild process?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hello.

i am trying to develop a relatively clean process for creating/populating a
new database.  i have all of the table creation scripts and am about to
start writing scripts to populate the db with the necessary default data (an
admin user, a guest user, default application info, default preferences, etc
etc etc).  is there any easy way to do this?

my current approach is to write a bunch of insert statements in a text
editor.  i can do this, but it's error prone (or i guess i am).  obviously
if i already have a source db i can do some table copying, but i would like
to make this work for a fresh install on a new machine.

is there a better way?

the limit of my imaginatin is this - some sort of command/utility that
queries a table and generates the insert statements from the results.  then
i wouldn't have to worry about updating my default data scripts everytime
data changes.

i appreciate your help/suggestions.

chris