Problems with numeric (10,2) and big Decimal

От Dave Cramer
Тема Problems with numeric (10,2) and big Decimal
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Thomas,

Ok,

I now know what is going on...

The select

davec=# select id from savingsaccount where balance between 1.1 and 5.1;

Returns an error

ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '>=' for types 'numeric' and
'float8'
        You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Even in psql.

The problem is that postgres can't figure out if 1.1 is a float or a
numeric.

On my version of the jdk my BigDecimal will

Turn the query into

query: select id from savingsaccount where balance between
1.100000000000000088817841970012523233890
533447265625 and 5.0999999999999996447286321199499070644378662109375

Which seems to work

It also changes 1.0 and 5.0 into 1 and 5 respectively.

Which also works

So the solution is to change jdk's ( I use the latest from Sun) or
change the query to

select id from savingsaccount where balance between cast(1.1 as
numeric(10,2)) and cast(5.1 as numeric (10,2));

Cheers,

Dave