Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump

От Iain
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Postgres version change - pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
As others have already said, use the newer version of pg_dump and it should go ok.

I had lots of problems restoring 7.1 dumps into 7.4 database, but it goes smoothly if I use the 7.4 version of pg_dump.

Assuming you have 2 servers, the old one and a new one, call pg_dump from your new server as follows:

pg_dump --username=postgres --host=192.168.x,x  <other options>

and use the IP address of the old server for the --host parameter.

You may need to edit the pg_hba.conf file on the old server to allow the connection from the new server.

This is pretty convenient as you don't even have to copy the dump file from the old server.

I was thinking you could set up a backup server in this way. On a busy system, it may take a load of the main server so that running backups with users online shouldn't be a problem. That's in theory anyway.

regards
Iain