Re: new String(byte[]) performance

От Michael Paesold
Тема Re: new String(byte[]) performance
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Teofilis Martisius wrote:
> > The things that take up most time now is transferring everything over
> > network (PG_Stream.receiveTuple if i remember correctly) and allocating
> > memmory for byte[] arrays. But I don't know any way to speed them up.
>
> There is probably room for improvement here under JDK 1.4, if we
> want to get really fancy.  I think we could manipulate IO buffers to read
> directly from the network into byte arrays, rather than reading in from
> the network at the hardware level, allocating a new buffer in the program,
> and then copying the data from the network buffer to the program buffer.
> But of course, IANAIOGuy; I've never actually tried that... :)
>
> Aaron

You are talking about the new IO system in java.nio.*, right? I think there
could be a major improvement. On the other hand this would definatly
increase the maintenance overhead in the driver. Anyway, what else if not
this would be a stronger reason for object oriented programming? ;-)

Regards,
Michael Paesold