Re: On the right tool (was Re: Proper relational database?)

От
Тема Re: On the right tool (was Re: Proper relational database?)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Sullivan

> Indeed, I wasn't trying to make some point-and-laugh argument about NoSQL.
> was just observing that, as with many new techniques, some of the uses
> haven't really been thought out carefully.  (It doesn't help that at least
> one of the early "successes" worked way better in theory than in practice,
> and that whole businesses have been taken down by the failure modes.
"Oooh,
> can't resolve conflict!  Oh well, throw it all away!" is not a great way
> store critical business > data.)

I can think of quite a few of those. Starting with JavaScript...

> New technologies are hard.  Some regard Brooks's _The Mythical Man-Month_
and
> Spolsky's "Things You Should Never Do, Part I" as saying different things.
> But I think they're in deep agreement on a key point: understanding why
the
> old approach is there is way harder than figuring out that old approach;
so
> there's a natural tendency to replace rather than to understand and build
> further.

I agree. Microsoft completely replaced their original Basic/GWBASIC/Bascom
code base with VB, but they did both at the same time. And current versions
of Word, Excel and MSVC are built directly from the original Windows code
base -- no rewrites. The Edge browser is new, but IE goes on...

> In Brooks, this leads to the communications death, which is one of the
ways
> that adding more people to a late project makes it later.  In Spolsky, it
> yields the straightforward observation that reading code is harder than
> writing it.  In both cases, though, the point is that careful software
> development management is considerably harder than it seems.  I think that
> those two works -- along with _Soul of a New Machine_ -- impart certain
basic
> things you really need to internalise to see why so many large software
> projects are more about people's egos than about actually making stuff
> better.  None of them says, "Don't do new things."  But all militate
towards
> understanding what you're throwing away before you start work.

I agree. I know those works well. I am the proud possessor of 500KLOC of
25yo C/C++ code and you can trust it!

> In I think 2003 or 2004 I read an article in _CACM_[1] that said (in my
> reading) that Google proved CAP was true and that we had to get over
> ourselves (I'm exaggerating for effect).  As a data guy, I found this both
> troubling and influential, and I've thought about it a lot since.  The
thing
> I found compelling about it was the observation that Google's approach to
> consistency was way better than good enough, so one shouldn't care too
much
> about durability or consistency.  The thing that bothered me was the
obvious
> counter-examples.  I came to believe that the point I understood was
> obviously true in its domain, and dangerously false in other cases.

I think CAP is true enough, but financial transactions and comments on a
Facebook page occupy different places on the spectrum.

> In retrospect, is is obviously true that, if you understand your domain
well
> enough, many data handling techniques could be appropriate.  But that's
also
> _only_ true if you understand your domain well enough: applying the wrong
> techniques to your data can be seriously harmful, too.  This explains why
> various NoSQL techniques are so powerful in some ways and yet often so
> frustrating to data people.  It explains why the most successful
distributed
> database ever is the DNS, which is the wrong tool for nearly every job yet
> fabulously successful in its job.  And it's an excellent way to organise
> thinking about how to pick the right technology for a given data
situation.
> For if you pick the wrong one, you might find you've left a lot of the
value
> in a data set practically inaccessible.  You don't need perfect foresight.
> But attending a little to what value there is in your data can yield great
> dividends.

Writing Andl from scratch has been fun -- there was no other way to find out
what it should do. But there is a lot to say for actually producing a new
dialect of SQL instead (built on the same foundations as the old one). It's
just that SQL is such a damned ugly language!

The reason I'm here and engaging in this discussion on this list is that
Postgres is virtually the only candidate for hosting a new industrial grade
relational language. It has the credos, the extensibility and the licensing
to make it possible.

> We shape our tools and then our tools shape us [2].  But in the software
> world, we must be more mindful than ever that we understand our tools --
the
> shapes that they take and that they make.
> Historicism in software is no vice.  It is the path by which we learn to
make
> new mistakes, as opposed to the same mistake over again.

Most people do very little tool shaping. Most people will use a hammer to
drive a screw if that's what they see other people doing. I'm a toolmaker
and I think we can do better than SQL, but it sure is hard to get there.

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org