Re: Problem with host connection

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Problem with host connection
Дата
Список pgsql-general
From: "Jeremy Smith" <Jeremy@justasofty.com>

> Hi, Thanks for your response.
>
> netstat did not find postgres ?????????

If netstat doesn't list it (nr the top, with a Proto of tcp) then it isn't
listening. The other test is to "telnet localhost 5432" which should show
nothing if pg is listening, connection refused otherwise.

Try "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql restart" and see if that helps and if not
whether there is anything useful in the logs. Failing that, su to postgres
and run the command-line by hand - there should be some sort of error
message.

> I do not have a postmaster.opts
> I am running version 6.5 on a Mac using Yellowdog Linux 1.2

These two things are connected, don't worry about postmaster.opts since that
was introduced in 7.0/1.

You should have no problem compiling 7.x from source when you want to
upgrade - worked just fine on my iBook running LinuxPPC.