Re: indexes and tables

От David Johnston
Тема Re: indexes and tables
Список pgsql-general

multiple names for the "same column" you will need to deal with multiple
views/queries.

David J.

-----Original Message-----
From: amit sehas [mailto:cun23@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:00 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org; David Johnston
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] indexes and tables

Yes i was trying to determine how to make a View work in this situation.
From reading the details on PostgreSQL Views are not persistent, ie they are
just a SQL query short hand rather than actually creating any physical
entity backing it (i would imagine that creating such a physical backing
would be inordinately difficult to keep updated given the arbitrary original
query that was utilized to define it...)...

Is there some way inheritence can play a part in this such as

a) define a base table with 3 fields and place indexes on each one of the
   3 fields

b) define the 10 types in which we just override the name of each one of the
3 fields (i do not know if there is such a concept as overriding the name of
a field...) perhaps a computed field which depends upon the field
inherited...

that is as close as i could think of how to solve such as issue...but i am
not sure how inheritance works in POstgres...

any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks