Determining parent.

От Paul Skinner
Тема Determining parent.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Greetings to all.

This is more of a SQL question than a direct PostgreSQL question.

    Say I have 1 table...  Objects has columns IDX int, Parent int, Deleted bit, I have the objects table loaded with data, some records will have a Parent record that references the IDX of the object table.  Given one object, how can I determine all the whole tree of all sub-objects and not just the first child?

IE, below.  Say I want to know all objects under IDX 1, no problem, but how do I then drill down the query to get all children?  I did something like this with Oracle once using a CONNECT BY clause but I'm not too sure how to do that here.

 idx | parent | deleted
-----+--------+---------
   3 |      2 |       0
 101 |      1 |       0