Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/23/17 3:45 PM, Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
> A new currency type would be nice, and if kept small in scope, might be
> manageable.

I'd be rather nervous about this. My impression of community consensus
on this is a currency type that doesn't somehow support conversion
between different currencies is pretty useless, and supporting
conversions opens a 55 gallon drum of worms. I could certainly be
mistaken in my impression, but I think there'd need to be some kind of
consensus on what a currency type should do before putting that up for GSoC.

But, speaking of types, I wish we had a timestamp type that stored what
the original timezone was, as well as the relevant TZDATA entry that was
in place for that timestamp when it was created. Since it'd be
completely impractical to store TZDATA as part of the dataum, there
would need to be an immutable catalog table that stored the contents of
TZDATA any time it changed, as well as a fast way to find the surrogate
key for the current TZDATA.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)