Re: Database cluster?

От Gordan Bobic
Тема Re: Database cluster?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > I actually analyzed it once.  I came to the conclusion that to do it
right
> > it would be easier to make an almost entirely new db but use the same
> > external interfaces as PostgreSQL.  To do a kludge of it, one might
just
> > implement a tier that sits between the user and a bunch of standard
> > PostgreSQL backends.
> >
> > It'd make a neat companion project, though.  Like PG/Enterprise or
> > PG/Warehouse or something.
>
> I'm currently developing a simple version of such a system as an
> university project. It is a fairly simple aproach with a proxy or a
> distributor in front of a bunch of standard postgresl database servers.
>
> The proxy monitors and forwards the requests from the clients to the
> database servers. If it is a read-only request the query is forwarded to
> the databaseserver currently experiencing the lowest load/most free
> memory, otherwise it is sent to all database servers.

Surely, you have to send off a query to all servers that the specific
tables you are searching are split across. How are you handling splitting
of the data?

> This approach obviously only performs well in systems with a high ratio
of
> read-only queries, such as search engines and so on.

This implies lots of servers with identical data on them. Am I right?

Could you tell us a bit more about your project (if it's not breaching any
non-disclosure agreements, that is)? It could be a good starting point for
what we are talking about implementing.

Regards.

Gordan