not using table aliases in where clause slow-down?

От Mark Cowlishaw
Тема not using table aliases in where clause slow-down?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I noticed that running queries that do -not- use declared table aliases in
the 'where' clause seem to run a hell-of-a-lot slower than when aliases are
used. Is there a valid reason for this? It started out as a typo but now I'm
curious.

(7.0.3)

eg:

select
        rel.release_id as rel_id,     rel.code as rel_code,
        subs.subsystem_id as subs_id, subs.code as subs_code,
        func.function_id as func_id,  func.code as func_code,
        purp.purpose_id as purp_id,   purp.code as purp_code,
        purp.title as purp_title,
        proc.procedure_id as proc_id, proc.code as proc_code,
        proc.title as proc_title
    from
        releases as rel, subsystems as subs,
        functions as func, purposes as purp, procedures as proc
    where
        rel.project_id        = 53
        and purp.release_id   = rel.release_id
        and purp.function_id  = func.function_id
        and func.subsystem_id = subs.subsystem_id
        and purp.purpose_id   = proc.purpose_id
    order by
        rel.code, subs.code, func.code,
        purp.code, proc.code;

(runs pretty much instantly)

-versus-

select
        rel.release_id as rel_id,     rel.code as rel_code,
        subs.subsystem_id as subs_id, subs.code as subs_code,
        func.function_id as func_id,  func.code as func_code,
        purp.purpose_id as purp_id,   purp.code as purp_code,
        purp.title as purp_title,
        proc.procedure_id as proc_id, proc.code as proc_code,
        proc.title as proc_title
    from
        releases as rel, subsystems as subs,
        functions as func, purposes as purp, procedures as proc
    where
        releases.project_id        = 53
        and purposes.release_id   = releases.release_id
        and purposes.function_id  = functions.function_id
        and functions.subsystem_id = subsystems.subsystem_id
        and purposes.purpose_id   = procedures.purpose_id
    order by
        rel.code, subs.code, func.code,
        purp.code, proc.code;

(I get sick of waiting after > 30sec and ^C the query (in psql))

--
Mark Cowlishaw <markc@ot.com.au>
Open Telecommunications