RE: not Boolean - TEXT and WideString

От Ian
Тема RE: not Boolean - TEXT and WideString
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc

Hi Danny

The error throws in design time and run time.

It is a Delphi error and it thinks the field is a blob of Memo type.

I’m changing TEXT to VARCHAR and upgrading existing installations on first run of new software version.

It’s taken me 3 days to realise this. I was hoping for a quick switch like the Boolean one.

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

Ian

From: Danny Severns [mailto:Danny@eidl-sw.com]
Sent: 29 July 2020 14:48
To: ian@ces-ltd.co.uk; 'Roger De Four' <radfinancialsystems@gmail.com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
Subject: RE: not Boolean - TEXT and WideString

Yeah I didn’t give it much of a chance of working but sometimes it helps to exclude things.  That would have been too easy!  I also assumed you probably had no control over the MSSQL db schema.  I know nothing about Delphi, but do you think the Delphi IDE could be embedding something in the code it produces that causes the incompatibility?  I  was not real clear on when the error msg is produced, but perhaps you could write a quick C or plain Pascal test pgm to do a simple PG open DB operation and if it opens ok, using the MSSQL table do a single read operation to prove the incompatibility is in the DBs data types, not some other introduced factor.  Other than that, it sounds like you will have to do some ETL on the estim table if this is a conversion job.  If NewUser needs to access the DB estim in live production, then obviously ETL isn’t an option.

BTW, where is the “expecting: Memo actual: WideString” in the error message coming from, the Delphi runtime’s interpretation of the ODBC state and error codes?  To my knowledge neither DB has data types that use that terminology.  MS Access has a MEMO but no TEXT data type, but MSSQL has no MEMO data type.  So, it makes me think that perhaps whatever is producing the message does not actually understand the TEXT data type or at lease it does not comprehend the differences in definitions.  In other words, if it is expecting MEMO, the incompatibility is between its definition of MEMO and TEXT – or what it refers to as WideString, not between the way the two DBs define TEXT.  Is that possible or just my lack of knowledge, which certainly is possible.  If it is the runtime, then it is as if the runtime thinks MSSQL is an MS Access DB.