Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

От Kevin McArthur
Тема Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I've not actually looked in the source but i presume that insert returning
would work internally similar to a select in an update_after or insert_after
trigger.
If so then it should not care that an entry is a sequence or otherwise, it
should care what the actual data in the table is. It must work on the actual
data to properly work with defaults that are a product of a function that is
not a serial. Eg a uniqueidentifier's newid() func.

I could be wrong. But insert returning without picking up column defaults
would be extremely useless. getAutoGeneratedKeys in jdbc seems like it would
be a very useful interface, so if  this patch doesnt support implementing
this, someone should fix that. (I'd check/fix it myself, but i don't have
much of a clue when it comes to c programming)

Kevin McArthur