Re: Review: Patch to compute Max LSN of Data Pages

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Review: Patch to compute Max LSN of Data Pages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

amit@linux:~> md test
amit@linux:~> cd test
amit@linux:~/test> ln -s ~/test link_test
amit@linux:~/test> ls
link_test
amit@linux:~/test> cd link_test
amit@linux:~/test/link_test> ls
link_test
amit@linux:~/test/link_test> cd link_test
amit@linux:~/test/link_test/link_test> cd link_test
amit@linux:~/test/link_test/link_test/link_test> pwd
/home/amit/test/link_test/link_test/link_test
amit@linux:~/test/link_test/link_test/link_test>

Platform details
----------------
Suse - 11.2
Kernel - 3.0.13

This is to avoid when user has given some path where db files are present.

> >> I think it would be a good idea to have a mode that prints out the
> max
> >> LSN found in *each data file* scanned, and then prints out the
> overall
> >> max found at the end.  In fact, I think that should perhaps be the
> >> default mode, with -q, --quiet to disable it.
> >
> > Printing too many LSN for each file might fill user's screen and he
> might be
> > needing only overall LSN.
> > Should we keep -p --printall as option to print all LSN's and keep
> default
> > as overall max LSN?
>
> Honestly, I have a hard time imagining the use case for that mode.
> This isn't a tool that people should be running regularly, and some
> output that lends a bit of confidence that the tool is doing the right
> thing seems like a good thing.  Keep in mind it's likely to run for
> quite a while, too, and this would provide a progress indicator.  I'll
> defer to whatever the consensus is here but my gut feeling is that if
> you don't want that extra output, there's a good chance you're
> misusing the tool.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.