Re: Should next release by 8.0 (Was: Re: [GENERAL] I am

От Sander Steffann
Тема Re: Should next release by 8.0 (Was: Re: [GENERAL] I am
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

> I've always thought of our release numbering as having "themes". The 6.x
> series took Postgres from interesting but buggy to a solid system, with
> a clear path to additional capabilities. The 7.x series fleshes out SQL
> standards compliance and rationalizes the O-R features, as well as adds
> to robustness and speed with WAL etc. And the 8.x series would enable
> Postgres to extend to distributed systems etc.

This sounds very good to me. I get the feeling sometimes that software
projects just increase the major version number to 'sound interesting'. I
don't think that PostgreSQL needs that anymore. A modest numbering policy
might even give it a 'stable' feeling...

Sander.