Re: pg_dump error

От Gregory Wood
Тема Re: pg_dump error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I find that "ALTER TABLE RENAME" will work without complaint on a
> sequence.  Seems we should either
>   (a) prohibit renaming a sequence;
>   (b) improve ALTER TABLE RENAME to know about changing the
>       sequence_name field as well;
>   (c) remove this cross-check from pg_dump; and/or
>   (d) remove the sequence_name field from sequences entirely.
>
> (c) looks like the path of least resistance.  I don't like (d) because
> of the risk of breaking existing application code that might look at
> the contents of sequences.  Comments?

I know for a particular program I wrote, I wrote function that you feed it a
tablename and the serial fieldname and it spits back the currval, or the
nextval. I don't foresee renaming these fields or the sequences, but things
change.

It seems like (b) provides the most straightforward and predictable
behavior. Then again, I don't have to code it :)

Greg