Re: Best way to handle multi-billion row read-only table?

От BillR
Тема Re: Best way to handle multi-billion row read-only table?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Is it also possible to denormalize by putting the 'channel' data in the
first table (especially if it isn't very much)? Maintaining a foreign key
constraint can impact performance significantly in most RDBMS's, even when
deferring checking. I could be wrong, but I suspect PostgreSQL is no
different. Or keep the data normalized and  remove the constraint
altogether. Also remove any primary key constraint so that it doesn't have
to check uniqueness, and avoid as many indexes as you can.

You have to take a leap of faith that you created your program well enough
to not get out of sync.

I would be interested to hear comments on this. These are some of the things
we did on systems I have worked on running Oracle that handled even higher
volumes (tens to hundreds of thousands of transactions per second or
higher... sustained throughout the day at least on the lower volume).
Granted we had real heavy hardware but the DBAs forbade us to create
constraints and indexes etc. for this reason; except on less active tables.
Everyone has already talked about partitioning, but load balancing across
machines if you can afford a couple or few more could help too. Not sure
what facility Postgres has for this though (I would be interested to hear
comments on this too! :-)

BillR