Re: moveToInsertRow

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: moveToInsertRow
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Dennis,

My understanding of an updateable result set is that you would first
have to get the result set from the db and then change something in it,
then update it.

In your case this won't work, I don't think there is any way you could
switch databases on it half way through the update.

The driver does handle batches, but I would be leary doing it this way,
my preference would probably be just to read a row, and  then write a
row.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis R. Gesker [mailto:dennis@gesker.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 4:36 PM
To: Dave@micro-automation.net
Cc: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] moveToInsertRow

I actually only need to be able to update a single table. I have some
tables which reside in a MS-SQL database. I basically am writing some
routines that will pull the appropriate information from the MS-SQL
database and place this data into my Pg database. I was planning to pull

the information I need from the MS-SQL database (located in several
tables via a join) as a single resultSet containing only what I need
then loop through this result set writing into the appropriate table of
the Pg database via an updatable result set from the Pg connection.

Maybe there is a better (more efficient?) way to go about this. Since
using an updatable rs on the Pg side dosen't seem to be an option  I
wonder if looping throught the MS-SQL rs creating a big batch of insert
statments then executing the batch at once into Pg would be the way to
go. I'll have to look into the documentation of the Pg JDBC driver to
see if it can handle a batches of SQL statements.

I would certainly welcome any ideas or advice as I'm still working my
way up the learning curve.

Dennis

--
Dennis Roman Gesker        ICQ: 194047
dennis@gesker.com        Fax: 413.740.4653

Seek freedom and become captive to your desires. Seek discipline and
find your liberty. -- F.H. 1985