Re: Does a call to a language handler provide a context/session, and somewhere to keep session data?

От
Тема Re: Does a call to a language handler provide a context/session, and somewhere to keep session data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
From: Jan de Visser [mailto:jan@de-visser.net]

You're being pretty oblique about what it is you're trying to achieve.
[dmb>] Sorry you see it that way. I know exactly where I'm trying to get to,
but it would take many pages to explain and I don't want to unduly trouble
other busy people.

To go back to one of your earlier emails: the hardest problem in computing
isn't cache invalidation. It is clearly explaining what the problem at hand
is.
[dmb>] What would you like to know? You can find out about Andl by following
the link in my footer. You can find out about me from various links. I have
a long history of experience in C/C++ in multiple environments. Andl is
written in C#, and I've been doing that since pre 1.0. Much of my life has
been writing compilers and related tools for developers, never for end
users. I don't have problems that look anything like the others I see on
this list.

I know from experience that writing long questions is a good way to get
ignored. So I try to pick out one hard question and ask it as briefly as
possible, in the hope that someone with deep Postgres knowledge will
understand what I need and help me find it. At the moment I have two
pressing problems.

One is the start-up phase: getting the Andl runtime stoked up, load its
catalog, set up its execution environment (including its own type system),
ready for business. That process in Postgres seems to be undocumented, but I
think I have it sorted (barring memory lifetime issues down the track).

The other is type conversions: incoming and outgoing. That is undocumented
too, and that's disappointing. Anyone writing functions or a language
handler will really need this. I'm finding it hard to pick a good path right
now.

The third would be queries, but that doesn't look too hard. SPI is quite
well documented.

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org