Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!

От Stephen Brearley
Тема Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!
Дата
Ответ на Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!  ("Stephen Brearley" <mail@stephenbrearley.name>)
Список pgsql-general

Hi George

Apologies to be rather grumpy, but I have been waiting a long time to get a glimmer of help!! Feeling a bit more positive now.

Thanks for coming back with more specifics. I haven’t done anything since your last email, as I have tried many times before what you (generally) suggested, but need more information to find a solution.

However, to answer your questions:

1)      I have used Start:Control Panel:Programs & Features:PostgreSQL:Uninstall/Change option to remove. Is there a special tool that does a cleaner job?

2)      I don’t know how to remove Postgres from the registry. I presume the uninstall method I have listed above does this, but seems to leave the following lines (presumably to keep my data intact):

  PostgreSQL:Installations:postgresql-9.2

  PostgreSQL:Services:postgresql-9.2

Please could you tell me how to clean Postgres from the registry, if this is still necessary?

3)      I don’t know how to remove the Windows postgres user, which I have been struggling to do for ages on Vista, but can’t find out how to do this. However, Thomas Kellerer has told me that this is not necessary any more. Which of you is correct?

4)      I do not have anything in C:\ProgramData\ pertaining to Postgres, as the installer put all my Postgres files in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2, with my data set to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\data. I’ve put my data on the D: drive and re-named it to data_old, and deleted the contents of \data. Is this enough do you think?

5)      My machine is x32, so I have been using the 32 bit version.

Please can you answer my points above before I can try a reinstall?

Much thanks

  Stephen