Re: hint bit i/o reduction

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: hint bit i/o reduction
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> yeah -- but you still have to call:
> *) TransactionIdIsCurrentTransactionId(), which adds a couple of tests
> (and a bsearch in the presence of subtransactions)
> *) TransactionIdIsInProgress() which adds a few tests and a out of  line call in the typical case
> *) TransactionIdDidCommit() which adds a few tests and two out of line calls in the typical case
and, while setting the hint it:
> *) Several more tests plus:
> *) TransactionIdGetCommitLSN()  another out of line call and a test
> *) XLogNeedsFlush() two more out of line calls plus a few tests
> *) SetBufferCommitInfoNeedsSave out of line call, several more tests

>adding a few instructions to the above probably won't be measurable

You are right, adding in above path should not impact any performance and
moreover all the checks and assignment you are purposing is backend local so
no contention also.

Just an observation that in some cases, it will just do only point-1 or
point-1 and point-2.
For example
1. xmin is committed and hint bit is already set.
2. xmax is hint bit is not set, and its still not visible to current
transaction.
In this case it will just do point-1 and point-2.