silence and failure of SQL commands

От John Payne
Тема silence and failure of SQL commands
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

Sorry for getting defensive, and yes I think Leif’s suggestion is much better than mine.  A statistics program I use (R) has a simple and elegant solution: it drops the cursor one line and puts in a “+” sign.  For example, here I enter the command “read” at the command prompt (>), and then forget to close the parenthesis:

> read(

+

That doesn’t solve the other potential problem, of forgetting to add the backslash to internal commands, or of putting a semicolon on them, but if I remember the error output was clearer in the latter case.

John

John Payne
POST Staff Scientist and US Coordinator
www.postcoml.org