Re: What limits Postgres performance when the whole database lives in cache?

От dandl
Тема Re: What limits Postgres performance when the whole database lives in cache?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > > http://slideshot.epfl.ch/play/suri_stonebraker
> > >

> > > He makes the claim that in a modern ‘big iron’ RDBMS such as
> Oracle,
> > > DB2, MS SQL Server, Postgres, given enough memory that the entire
> > > database lives in cache, the server will spend 96% of its memory
> > > cycles on unproductive overhead. This includes buffer management,
> > > locking, latching (thread/CPU
> > > conflicts) and recovery (including log file reads and writes).
>
> I think those numbers are overblown, and more PR than reality.

Did you check out the presentation? He presents figures obtained by experiment from instrumentation. Even if it's only
90%instead of 96%, he has a point.

> But there certainly are some things that can be made more efficient if
> you don't care about durability and replication.

He cares plenty. Durability and high availability both rely on active replication.

> > > I wondered if there are any figures or measurements on Postgres
> > > performance in this ‘enough memory’ environment to support or
> > > contest this point of view?
>
> I don't think that's really answerable without individual use-cases in
> mind.  Answering that question for analytics, operational, ...
> workloads is going to look different, and the overheads are elsewhere.

That's like: we don't have any figures for how fast your car will go: it depends on who's driving and how many
passengers.My answer is: yes, of course, but you can still provide figures for some specific set of conditions, and
they'llbe better than none at all.

> I personally think that each implementations restrictions are more
> likely to be an issue than anything "fundamental".

Unlikely. But you can still obtain figures.

> > What limits postgresql when everything fits in memory? The fact that
> > it's designed to survive a power outage and not lose all your data.
> >
> > Stonebraker's new stuff is cool, but it is NOT designed to survive
> > total power failure.
> >
> > Two totally different design concepts. It's apples and oranges to
> compare them.
>
> I don't think they're that fundamentally different.

Agreed.

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org

Сообщение: Re: What limits Postgres performance when the whole database lives in cache?
Сообщение: Re: What limits Postgres performance when the whole database lives in cache?