Re: Help understanding indexes, explain, and optimizing

От Dave Dutcher
Тема Re: Help understanding indexes, explain, and optimizing
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Actually I think LEFT OUTER JOIN is equivalent to LEFT JOIN.  The
Postgres manual says that the word OUTER is optional.  Either way you
get "...all rows in the qualified Cartesian product (i.e., all combined
rows that pass its join condition), plus one copy of each row in the
left-hand table for which there was no right-hand row that passed the
join condition."

It sounds like the original posters problem was a less than optimal join
order, and from what I understand Postgres can't reorder left joins.