Re: Power cut and performance problem

От Aftab Alam
Тема Re: Power cut and performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
unsubscribe

Regards,

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Jeff Frost
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:19 PM
To: Daniel Caune
Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Power cut and performance problem

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Daniel Caune wrote:

> For example, the execution of the following query is fast as it used to
> be (gslog_event_id is the primary key on gslog_event):
>
>  select max(gslog_event_id) from gslog_event;  (=> Time: 0.773 ms)
>

> while the following query is really slow (several minutes):
>
>  select min(gslog_event_id) from gslog_event; (index on the primary key
> is taken)
>

> I'm not a hardware expert at all, but I supposed that the whole
> performance would be degraded when a problem occurs with RAID disks.  Am
> I wrong?  Could it be something else?  Are there some tools that check
> the state of a PostgreSQL database?

You would be correct, a hardware problem should manifest itself on both
those
queries.  What is the explain analyze output of those two queries?  It's
possible you have a corrupt index on gslog_event.  If that's the case, a
reindex would likely remedy the problem.  Is postgres logging any errors?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to