Re: Seeking advice on database table design for storing

От Arjen van der Meijden
Тема Re: Seeking advice on database table design for storing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
As far as I know, Postgresql uses a separate space for storing the large
objects (bytea and text, in this case) to prevent against
performance-issues.
For storing images you might improve your performance and such things by
simply using the LOB-interface of Postgresql, in that case Postgres
stores the images as normal files and stores the OID in your table.

Since the normal performance tips for storing images involve storing
them on your filesystem and only the location in the database, it
doesn't sound to stupid to have postgresql handle that automatically for
you.

You'd probably have to check whether the above performance tips hold for
your application, but I'm pretty sure postgresql stores all text fields
seperately (or at least as soon as they don't fit into the local record)
and it would surprise me if bytea was handled differently.

Regards,

Arjen