Re: ExtenDB

От gkoskenmaki
Тема Re: ExtenDB
Дата
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 11:32 AM
To: gkoskenmaki
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ExtenDB

gkoskenmaki wrote:

> Has anyone used ExtenDB?  Our company is going to be putting a database
> server cluster in the coming months and we would like some feedback from
> anyone who has used ExtenDB as to what their experience with it has been
> like.

Haven't had any experience with it myself, and haven't heard anything
from them apart from a couple of announcements. There is another company
doing something similar called "greenplum" who I don't think offer a
free download of their multi-node system, but do have
manuals/white-papers etc. available for download after you register.

Both systems seem to be using the same partition-and-replicate system to
distribute queries across multiple nodes. This is straightforward enough
in theory but a lot of work in practice. The two things that will make a
difference are efficient use of the interconnect (gigabit ethernet for
both by the look of it) and the quality of the management tools.

Anyone from ExtendDB like to step forward and point Gary towards some
existing users?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Thanks for the reply Richard.  I will take a look at greenplum also.

Gary