Re: Win32 users?

От Bob Pawley
Тема Re: Win32 users?
Дата
Re: Win32 users?  (Marco Colombo <marco@esi.it>)
Список pgsql-general
I'll date myself so you all may know from where I am coming. My first lesson
in binary math took place in a classroom in 1958. Since then I have
witnessed a lot that has since swept under the bridge.

This thread reminds me of the discussion that surrounded the complexity of
using the first spreadsheets (the precursor to today's Databases) that, at
the time, could best be done by Wang. In the 80s Wang built an empire around
their computers holding their own spreadsheet software. The system was
complex and required specially trained operators in order to accomplish even
the most basic of tasks.

Then along came Windows. Wang collapsed. All of those specially trained
operators were forced to find other employment. This major dislocation to
peoples lives and livelihood was an overnight phenomenon.

In my 47 years of being somewhat aligned to the software industry this story
was repeated over and over again.

There is a lesson to be learned from the Wang experience.

People want tools to do tasks. They do not want to spend their own time (or
their own money to hire others) to build, design, repair or change the tools
that they need just in order to accomplish their own work - the work they
know best and from which they make a living. A good tool - a perfect tool -
is like a hammer. Its use is immediately known and it can be deployed
quickly, accurately and with little or no specialized training.

So I caution all to not make light of newbies who are searching for good
tools (not even perfect tools - yet) to do the work that needs doing. The
world will not sit by and continue to pay for Wang operators.

Bob Pawley

Big Time Newbie