Re: should i expected performance degradation over time

От Anibal David Acosta
Тема Re: should i expected performance degradation over time
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Do you know if check_postgresql.pl can run on windows (with perl installed)?

Because our postgres installation is running on a Windows 2008 R2 server but
can't find any tool like this for windows :(

Thanks!

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Scott Marlowe [mailto:scott.marlowe@gmail.com]
Enviado el: sábado, 10 de septiembre de 2011 02:30 p.m.
Para: Anibal David Acosta
CC: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Asunto: Re: [PERFORM] should i expected performance degradation over time

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Anibal David Acosta <aa@devshock.com>
wrote:
> Sometimes I read that postgres performance is degraded over the time
> and something people talk about backup and restore database solve the
problem.

> It is really true?

Yes and no.  If you let things get out of hand, a backup and restore may be
your best choice.

> I have postgres 9.0 on a windows machine with The autovacuum is ON

Good start

> Transactional table has about 4 millions of rows inserted per day.
>
> In the midnight all rows are moved to a historical table and in the
> historical table rows are about 2 months, any transaction older than 2
> months are deleted daily.

You should look into table partitioning then.  but as long as vacuum keeps
up you're probably still ok.  Look at the check_postgresql.pl script by the
same guy who wrote Bucardo.  It'll keep you advised of how much bloat your
tables have.

> So, my question is, if Should I expect same performance over time
(example:
> after 1 year) or should I expect a degradation and must implements
> come technics like backup restore every certain time?

If you maintain your db properly, performance should stay good.  If you
ignore bloat issues you might have some issues.