Re: Temporal Databases

От Rodrigo Sakai
Тема Re: Temporal Databases
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ok, but actually I'm not concerned about logging old values. I'm concerned
about checking temporal constraints. Entity Integrity (PK) and Referential
Integrity (FK).

 For example, if you have the salary table:

Salary (employee_id, salary, start_date, end_date)

Where [star_date, end_date] is an interval. Means that the salary is (was)
valid in that period of time.

I have to avoid this occurrence:

      001
      1000
      2005-20-01
      2005-20-12

      001
      2000
      2005-20-06
      2006-20-04

So, is needed to compare intervals, not only atomic values. If you want to
know which was the salary on 2005-25-07, is not possible. It is
inconsistent!!!

Of course I can develop some functions and triggers to accomplish this work.
But the idea is to keep simple for the developers, just simple as declare a
primary key!

Thanks for your attention!!